While many homeowners may be focused on determining the right paint colours for their projects, there are other factors to consider when choosing interior and exterior paints. There are different types of paints made from different materials, each with their own benefits and drawbacks. Our painters in Toronto are frequently asked, for example, to explain the difference between acrylic and latex paints. Let’s take a closer look at these painting materials.
Acrylic Vs. Latex Paint
Acrylic and latex paints are each actually made from acrylic resins. The primary difference in their compositions, however, lies in the bases that support these resins. Latex paints are water-based, while acrylic paints are chemical-based. While acrylic paint will generally last longer than latex paint, latex paint is more frequently used for painting houses, while acrylic paints are used for art projects.
Benefits of Using Latex Paint On Your Home
There are many reasons that professional house painters in Toronto frequently use latex paints over acrylics. Examples of these benefits include:
- Cost Effective – Not only are latex paints generally less expensive than acrylic paints, but they also provide better coverage. This means that painters can use fewer coats, which is especially important when painting large projects, such as houses.
- Convenience – Painting fewer coats reduces the time needed to complete painting projects. Latex paint also dries faster than acrylic paint, further reducing the amount of time required to paint the home.
- Safety – Because acrylic paint is chemical-based, it does require extra care in regards to handling the materials safely. While all painting projects need ventilation, this is especially true when using acrylic paint that can produce dangerous fumes. Unlike latex paint, which can be removed using soap and water, acrylic paint requires paint thinners if it needs to be removed from the skin.
- – Spring Home Painting Ideas for an Inexpensive Makeover
- – Handy Painting Tips for your Dream Kitchen
- – Bathroom Painting Tips for a Tiny Master Ensuite!
- – Living Room Painting: Change the Colors; Change the Mood
- – Office Painting Tips for Higher Employee Morale and Improved Productivity
- – Selecting the Right Kind of Paint – Acrylic Versus Latex
When You Might Choose Acrylic Paint
The biggest benefit that comes with using acrylic paint on a house is that the chemicals cause the paint to have greater elasticity. This means that as temperatures fluctuate, the paint expands and contracts accordingly, reducing the amount of flaking and cracking. Therefore, acrylic paint is sometimes used in places that require more durable and resistant coats of paint, such as the exterior of the house, in a garage, or other outdoor spaces.
Choosing the Right Paint Finish
Of course, the finish also determines the appearance and durability of your paint. Areas that need to be more resistant to water, dirt, oils from hands, and other elements, might benefit from a paint that has a greater amount of sheen, such as a semi-gloss or high-gloss paint.
Working with the Perfect Painters in Toronto
These are all very important decisions to make before painting a home. If you are not sure which supplies will be best for your project, you can contact the Perfect Painters in Toronto for help. We will happily answer all of your questions regarding types of paints and finishes, and provide you with a quote for your project.