September 13, 2018 - 0 comment
Do you want to remove old wallpaper and give the space a new look? Removing wallpaper can be a messy affair especially if you are doing it on your own. Learn the costs associated with removing wallpaper on your own against hiring a professional to do it for you. Let’s get started.
Removing wallpaper can easily be the most frustrating DIY project ever! It is so annoying for a few homeowners and renters that they simply paint over the old wallpaper. But, if you want the new paint or new wallpaper to look good and stay beautiful for a very long time, you need to prep the walls efficiently. And, it includes proper removal of the old wallpaper.
The Complete Guide: Easy and Efficient Tips to Remove Wallpaper
A. Being Clueless is a Curse
You may think that removing wallpaper is a simple task that can be accomplished in a day. But, if you are clueless about the kind of wallpaper and the wall you have, it can delay the process. If you have installed removable wallpaper or dry-strippable wallpaper, it will be easy to remove without any additional scraping tools. But, if you have installed a traditional wallpaper, you will have to spend time in understanding the thick layers of the paper as well as the adhesive used in the process. You will need specialized tools and wallpaper stripper solutions to take care of the task at hand.
You should also pay attention to the wall. If wallpaper is installed on a drywall, you should not over-soak the wall or use very sharp tools to scrape off the paper. It can damage the drywall. On the other hand, if the wall is made from plaster, you will have no such problem.
B. Let’s Shop!
You can shop online or visit a local home improvement store to buy the tools. Here are all the things that you will require for the project:
- Wallpaper Scorer – Inexpensive but indispensable; the wallpaper scorer tool is available under $10. Prefer buying roller-models to puncture wallpaper quickly. It will help water, steam or chemical solution to reach all the layers of wallpaper and make the removal process quick.
- Scraper Tool – Using a blunt putty knife will not solve your purpose of removing wallpaper quickly. You need to buy special wallpaper scraper tool for better results. It is not expensive and will cost around $10-$15.
- Steamer Machine – Ideal for efficient removal of wallpaper, you can buy the steamer under $100. The price can fluctuate depending on the capacity and the power of the machine. You can even rent it for one-third of the price by placing a deposit with the store.
- Wallpaper Stripper – Today’s chemical wallpaper removal solutions are non-toxic and odor-free. You will find many varieties of the stripper solution. Whether you opt for a spray, gel or liquid, make sure that you buy enough quantity to last the entire project. It is available for $15-$40.
- Tarp – If you have carpet-flooring or wooden flooring and want to avoid any damage to the area, you can buy tarp to cover it. It is ideal to remove furniture and other decorations from the room. But, if you do not want to remove them, simple cover the furniture with tarp. Purchase heavy-duty tarp of 12 ft. * 16 ft. for $50-$75.
- Miscellaneous Items – You may need to buy a couple of sponges to clean the wall. Also, a spray bottle will be useful in spraying wallpaper with water or the chemical-solvent. Masking tape is also essential to cover electrical outlets. The bottle and tape can be purchased under $5 each. If you do not have a ladder to reach high sections of the wall, you can rent it for $30 approximately. Also, do not forget to get a few rags and old towels ready for cleaning.
C. Scraping-Off the Old!
Your task begins with wallpaper scoring tool. Use the tool over the entire wallpaper and puncture it with multiple holes. It will allow the wallpaper to process the steam, water or any other liquid you will use. You will need the paper to be soft so that it peels off the wall easily without causing any damage. If you are going to use wallpaper stripper or water, do not soak the entire wall with the liquid. Soak only a part of the wall that you will be able to scrape off in the next few minutes. It will help you to avoid mess.
If wallpaper is not coming off easily, you may have to soak it with moisture. So, spray more water or use a sponge to apply the chemical stripper. Once the wallpaper is wet, pull it from a corner. The wet paper will come off easily. Take help of the wallpaper scraper tool to remove the remaining paper. You may have to repeat the process several times.
D. Work for the New Look
No matter what technique you use for removing wallpaper, you will have to deal with stubborn adhesive. You can use steam, water, wallpaper stripper, etc. to remove the residue from the wall. Opt for a sanding paper for lightly sanding the surface and making it clean.
A hasty painting project often results in a disaster. So, make sure that the wall is dry. Fix any cracks and holes that are visible to you eye. And, then apply primer to the wall to create a blank canvas for the next painting project or wallpaper installation job.
Too Much Work? Why not hire a Professional?
If you do not want to undertake a messy DIY project, simply choose a professional to help you. Having an expert at your beck and call means he will help you to remove old wallpaper, prep the wall and even paint it in the colors of your choice. Typically, you may be charged $400-$800 for a wallpaper removal job. But, remember that the cost can change drastically depending on the type of wallpaper, kind of wall, area covered, etc. So, before saying yes to a home painting company, make sure that you discuss everything in detail. Ask for their hourly rate and the approximate time to finish the job.
All the Best!
Do you want to remove old wallpaper? At Perfect Painter, we not only undertake interior home painting project but we also offer wallpaper installation and removal services. Hire the best Toronto home painters and enjoy a better looking home forever.